I couldn't believe it. I'd finally made it happen. A Burlington Summer. This is exactly what I have been wanting for the last three years, but it never came true. Until now. The last couple of weeks of school, I decided that I didn't want to return to Poultney. Why would I? So I could work at a thankless, shitty job that I couldn't stand, get into trouble, drink and do unconstructive activities all the time? No, thanks. It wasn't a good environment for me to stay, so I got out. I finally sought refuge in the one place I consider stable, healthy, and where I thrive like nowhere else. Burlington is the place where I feel...at peace. It's where I have no negative memories, very little drama, and a place where I can be whoever I want to be. It's my space, and it's untainted. It's pure. It's amazing. I have come to call Burlington home, not just because this is where I've lived for the last couple of years, but because it's the environment that I've created and it's the place that I have made, and defined, as a home.
During the last weeks of April, I'd finalized plans for my summer internship with Tim Brooks. Starting in June, I'll be the Editorial Assistant for Champlain College Publishing Initiative. I'm not exactly 100% sure about what that all entails, but I'm curious, and excited, to find out. Along with my internship, I'll be balancing a full-time job as an office assistant for Champlain College Physical Plant, working 8:00-4:00, Monday through Friday. It's going to be killer to wake up before 8 AM everyday, but it's going to keep me busy. And being busy keeps me happy. Not to mention I'll be making pretty good bank this summer.
So, Thursday night while I'm packing my stuff for the morning, I get an email from my Human Rights professor. She wanted to know if I'd be interesting in working on a Human Rights project/panel for a conference in Texas in October. I'd help her throughout the summer on the project, and then come October I'd be heading off towards Texas. This is exactly what I want to study, what I want to do with my Professional Writing degree. So was I interested? There was only one answer. Absolutely.
So, that is the layout of my summer. In between internship, job, and projects, I will also be finishing my incomplete, making time for writing, knocking out a few good books, having time for fun, friends, food, and anything else that comes my way, and of course, exploring Burlington.
So, here goes. It promises to be an interesting summer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment